[thechat] Advice: Request to feature your images

Dave Fitch lists at dere-street.com
Thu Jun 18 15:57:46 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Madhu Menon wrote:

I just got this request to feature a couple of my food photos in a book.
> They have offered no money at all for this.
>
> Any advice from folks here? UK people, is this a known publishing group?
> (Their web site is painful to visit.)

The key issue here is a] what would it cost them to get similar images
elsewhere, and b] what can you get out of it for yourself. The answer for a]
is unfortunately probably not much - in this age of microstock you can get
good images very very cheaply, and lots of photogs will give stuff away for
free. The answer for b] is perhaps rather different for you, if you think
not about what the images are worth in $/£/€ but about what value it could
potentially add to your brand/lounge/bar if you can say that your cocktails
were featured in this book etc. etc. etc..

Personally I'd try and leverage copies of the book and the right to do some
form of advertising [e.g. 'as featured in'] based on the book [possibly with
the right to incorporate copies of the book cover in some of your
advertising]. The more images they want, the more copies of the book you
should ask for... :-)
Dave