[thechat] Rockstars and Ninjas

Jack Timmons codeacula at codeacula.com
Fri Aug 13 05:58:37 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris nails it:
>
> Unmaintainable products that have the handwriting of one genius developer and no documentation on them are the IT equivalent of trashed hotel rooms.
>
> http://www.wait-till-i.com/2010/08/13/can-we-stop-with-the-ninja-and-rockstar-hype-already/
>
> Cheers
> Martin

I never considered at a "____ Language Rockstar" was one who didn't
document. But I didn't take it in the literal sense like the author
decided to do...I think I took it like most everyone else.

And the name serves a perfectly good purpose. As the author said:

"In essence I see the demand of rockstars as a flattering way of
companies to find somebody to quickly burn out and get a quick product
out of that can be hyped."

I see a request for a "PHP Ninja" for the sandpit it is: they want a
product that works perfectly, fast, and cheap.

Plus, I'm wary of anyone who uses buzzwords as a buzzword, and not
their actual meaning/intent. (6 years of AJAX experience? Seriously.)

--
Jack Timmons
@_Codeacula