[thechat] Rockstars and Ninjas

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Aug 14 05:21:56 CDT 2010

On 13 Aug 2010, at 13:51, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Now I know you've been through at least 20 different variations of Myers-Briggs ... I think you should consider us "rockstar/ninjas" as just another type of talent to draw upon. Can we be a pain in the ass?  Yes, royally.  Are we difficult to manage?  Absolutely! [1]  Can we be a valuable asset?  Yeah, I think that's equally undeniable.

And like all MBTI characteristics, when taken in appropriate doses, it's great. But without the maturity that knows when to stop, it's destructive.

And it's a matter of matching to the environment - there are definitely environments where that inspiration is useful. But they're in a small minority. The most commonly useful attribute is the ability to make a promise and deliver on it. Every time.

Finally, yes, there are definitely people who are that good. But then, like rock stars, there are many mediocre no-hopers who just *think* they're that good, but lack the cognitive ability to recognise it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

The best people generally under-self assess. Being a rock star can be OK. Describing yourself as one (especially on first meeting)... I'm already discounting most of what you claim.

Cheers
Martin