[thechat] Online Backup

Mohan Arun L marun2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 09:39:08 CST 2010

>>My sister wants an automatic online backup service. I don't have any
>>experience with such. She said she is looking at idrive.com or
>>carbonite.com <http://carbonite.com/>. Can anyone recommend any such
service?

Why online backup?

Unless you are going to need file sync with all the devices you are using, I
would advise investing in a USB external storage drive.

They are less than $100 these days for a reasonable capacity of 1 TB.

With online backup, your bandwidth is going to get occupied with all the
file syncing happening. If your ISP charges you by bandwidth used, your
bandwidth will quickly get all used up. So suggest external storage drive
(portable or non portable). Portable drives are more expensive than
non-portables.

I made a blog post about 1 TB USB portable drives some time ago.
http://mohanarun.com/how-to-spend-150-productively/

~~~ Mohan Arun