[theforum] server migration

adrinux adrinux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 03:55:32 CST 2008

2008/11/8 Erika <ekm at seastorm.com>:
> How is our server migration
> coming?
Well, status summary:

David ordered a new special-offer cheaper sever with costs more
closely matching our current BEO adwords revenue.
New server comes with CentOS but sysadmin team want either Debian or
preferably an Ubuntu LTS release on the new server.
theplanet no longer offer debian, or ubuntu and will charge $150 to
install it, and it will be 'unsupported'.
David is attempting to avoid the $150 charge by remote installing debian/ubuntu.
As of 28th October David had some success with his test remote
installs (using a virtual machine) but was having a few issues with
his fallback options (in case of an error) - he's being "careful and
paranoid".

>  Is this something we can make happen in the next week or two?
No idea, it's really all in David's hands at the moment. But maybe
it's time to push forward with it - the consensus on #evolt seemed to
be that we should just pay the $150 and get on with it. Maybe we
should suggest to David that just do it, and if he runs into problems
pays the $150?

--
Adrian Simmons | http://perlucida.com