new site changes (was: RE: [thesite] some constructive criticism)

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Fri Dec 15 12:02:13 CST 2000

Taking into account several suggestions made yesterday, I've made some
changes to test.evolt.org. Can we get some opinions?

xxxxx

1) I changed the text to #333333 and bumped it up to 12px. This looks good
to me.

2) I added underlines to the links *except* on the sidebar and the navbar at
the top. To me the sidebar and navbar are such common places for links, I
thought we could try it without them.

My only comment is that I HATE the underline on the article title. WAY too
distracting. I figure there are two options: Make a new style to remove the
underline from the linked article titles on the home page OR just unlink the
titles. I think I would prefer to have a new style, because the title is
such an obvious thing to link.

3) I took the nowrap attribute off the far left column because the larger
text size was making the main content column sooooo narrow (at 640x480) that
it lost importance.

4) Just in case anyone missed it, yesterday isaac suggested adding some
padding on the article page to get some breathing for large blocks of text.

I also took the nowrap attribute off the date/subject cell in the upper left
hand corner, and I have a comment about that. On the topics/centers that
have small names (see Jobs), that left hand column becomes too narrow, IMO.
I'd like to add a 1 x (datewidth) pixel spacer in the cell that has the
"Print Article" link to set a minimum width for the column. Opinions?

xxxxx

So, have a gander at http://test.evolt.org/ and chime in.

Dave
----