[thesite] Body edit textarea - not always escaping chars

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Sun Dec 17 04:02:35 CST 2000

At 00:55 17/12/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>: i never suggested we should be removing carriage returns.
>:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>that's one of the things that HTMLEditFormat() does though, which is why
>we're not using it.

humour me for a moment, jeff.

i use htmleditformat() all the time for almost identical purposes. right
now i'm using it to populate a textarea on a recruitment company website. i
just tried, and it isn't stripping carriage returns (despite what the docs
say. this wouldn't be the first time the allaire docs are wrong). i am
managing to freely enter carriage returns inside my textarea, and they are
being reflected when the job vacancy is displayed on the site.

this page illustrates this in the simplest way possible:

http://www.vibe.co.nz/textarea.cfm

to view the CFML source of this page, use

http://www.vibe.co.nz/textarea.cfm?source=1

* carriage returns are preserved, so re-editing the code is fine
* there is zero chance of any browser rendering the tags within the
textarea instead of displaying them as code
* anything you enter in the textarea shows up within the page (at the
bottom, not in the textarea) just how you would want for something like
articles

tell me again, what's wrong with htmleditformat()?

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz