[thesite] anchors and 6 possible URL formats

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Fri Apr 13 00:44:00 CDT 2001

matt,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Warden, Matt
:
: Dan just added support for older links
: in the pre-Evolt2.0 format. For instance,
: this URL now works fine, without an
: intermediary page:
:
: http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=206
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

not necessarily a good thing since it doesn't encourage people to update
their bookmarks.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Now, the problem is that we now have 6 possible
: URLs for the same "page":
:
:
http://www.evolt.org/article/301/Yahoo_users_organize_boycott/206/index.html
: http://evolt.org/article/301/Yahoo_users_organize_boycott/206/index.html
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

neither of these are valid urls.  they should be:

http://www.evolt.org/article/301/1/206/index.html
http://evolt.org/article/301/1/206/index.html

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=206
: http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=206
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

these should not redirect, but instead prompt the user to update their
bookmarks.

can someone do some research on a meta tag or something to put on the page
to indicate the new url the document has moved to for search engines so
we're not redirecting?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.evolt.org/keyword_phrase
: http://evolt.org/keyword_phrase
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

implemented on thesite, but not available to the members-at-large.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: So, the first thing that I suggest is that we change
: the old->new url redirection just added to use the
: title format of the SSURL links so we aren't adding
: another 2 frequently-used formats.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

currently it's using a title format of "301" which i'm guessing djc put in
so he could log them.  since those requests initially have to come in via
the old style url i don't see much point in that.  i agree that they should
use the article title in the link, preferably without redirecting.

more in another reply,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden
game://web.development