[thesite] Re: [thelist] RSS or Scriptingnews feed

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Apr 16 15:29:02 CDT 2001

djc,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Daniel J. Cody
:
: The reason that might be important is because
: we don't want to be crossing mime-type's with
: extensions.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a valid concern.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: If we assign a text/xml mime-type to
: /xml/article/index.html it probably won't
: break anything, but its just ugly since
: we're already giving a mime-type of
: text/html to .html files.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that's the beauty of using <cfcontent> -- only the mime-type you specify
gets sent out to the user.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: In other words, we shouldn't be setting
: mime-types on the fly. That and its not
: an HTML file, but an XML file. Its just
: one more hack that we don't need to deal
: with IMO.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

possibly.  in this case we can get away with changing the file extension.
however, there are plenty of instances where that won't be possible and
we'll have to rely on the mime-type alone.

with out setup, it really doesn't matter what extension the file is
requested with -- as evidenced by early days of t.e.o where we had an
evolt.borg file extension.  what really matters is the mime-type.

nonetheless, check this out:

http://evolt.org/xml/articles.xml
http://evolt.org/rdf/articles.xml

.jeff