[thesite] proposed CSS addition

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 11:08:00 CST 2002

> From: "Michele Foster" <michele at wordpro.on.ca>
>
> Why would we want to add something that has so little support?  IMHO,
> if its not working correctly in IE nor NS, then its not worth adding.
> We'd be better off finding another solution.

because there might be some cases where the user wants a
complex table to have gridlines... and it's valid CSS as well...

> That said, I don't have opera here, so, I'm not 100% sure what it is
> you are trying to achieve (and I'm too tired atm to go d/l it ;).
> Your sample looks rather odd in IE5.5 .. I only see a line at the top
> of and left side of the table .. makes it look "incomplete" or "in
> error".

exactly... which is why i've brought it up here as a proposal, not as
a "hey, let's add this!" directive...

the idea is to make us more forward-compatible... clearly the
rendering issues may make all this moot...

> Another thing to consider, is it worth adding when very few will ever
> use it, because they don't know it exists?

it would get added to the style guide...

> Bottom line, let's get it working, however it is that you want it to
> work .. then we'll talk about adding it.

technically, it is working... it's valid CSS and only requires one
class... there's nothing to change and i'm not going to hack it or
ask authors to hack tables...

> (btw, great article .. it's sure to be one I print out for the charts.
>  It's always annoyed me that the w3c didn't display the characters ..
> thanks :)

thanks...