[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Mark Cheng mark.cheng at ranger.com.au
Thu Jul 12 01:35:35 CDT 2001

>[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of aardvark

>> From: "Mark Cheng" <mark.cheng at ranger.com.au>
>[...]
>> I think Brian is right.  Design to what you are comfortable with and
>> what your client is comfortable with.  If you like designing for old
>
>cop-out.
>
>clearly some people aren't comfortable designing for accessibility
>or degradability (not just old browsers, as everyone likes to frame
>it)... so, instead of taking the time to learn, or even care, they just
>write it off as frivolous and a waste of time... it smacks of laziness...

ahem.  accessibility is an entirely different issue.  I strongly believe in
accessability.  I just don't think that degradeability is all it is cracked
up to be.  If a web designer wants to learn everything about say, ie55, how
to manipulate the DOM with JS, use ASP, why should they not design to that,
if they and the client are happy?

Those people who know the intricacies of nn4.x are experts in their field.
They probably couldn't design an ie55 specific site as efficiently as
someone who devoted their learning solely to that.  Why say that someone who
is an expert in ie55 is lazy?

>design for the audience... use the client to guide you, use your
>experience and skill to make it work... and if you don't know how to
>do something, learn it, don't run away...

for every business, time learning is time not earning.  The old rule : 80%
of revenue from 20 largest customers.  Learn what you need to keep them
happy.

>> browsers, go ahead.  In the same way that clients can choose to design
>> a whole site in flash, web designers can choose to design for business
>> that only want to cater for a particular selection of browsers.
>
>nothing wrong with that, but don't ignore those users just because
>you're afraid to grow as a developer... ignore them because you
>have a solid business case to do so...

Sorry, but I don't see how learning to code for nn4.x is going to help any
developer grow in a useful way.  Spend the time learning XML, ASP,
Coldfusion instead.

This email may be confidential and contain commercially sensitive information.  Only the intended recipient may access or use it.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and notify us promptly.
We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in this email or any attachment.