[thelist] [fwd] meta keywords

iibiz sales at iibiz.com
Tue Jul 17 09:26:11 CDT 2001

> Actually the number of keywords doesn't really matter. This article
> details it all: http://www.rankwrite.com/metakeyword.htm
>
> Note that meta keywords aren't really important any more these days when
> it comes to search engine ranking.

Whoa.  You can't ignore meta keywords!  You can't rely solely on them
either.  A good combination of keywords, description, titles and content are
all important.  Even the article you posted says:

"Since the search engines use a wide variety of factors to determine site
rankings, optimizing a page to rank high is a cumulative effort. You should
use everything available to you that the engines might give some weight, and
therefore you should certainly use the meta keyword tag, along with every
other legitimate, acceptable technique available."

> > Are there any free sites out there that detail the most commonly
searched
> > for words and phrases by category?

It's nearly impossible to include all the words that people "might" search
under, and it's hard to make anything idiot proof, because idiots are so
ingenious (as the old saying goes).  And some people surfing really know how
to make good use of their search engines, i.e. quotation marks and AND and
all that good stuff - other people don't.

Some of my best results have come from asking "common folk" what THEY would
key in to try to find "X".

Good luck,

Sandy