[thelist] computer power consumption stats

Kristy Frey kristenannfrey at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 07:56:04 CST 2001

> > Know of any online info re: how much power a computer uses when
> > it's in full
> > power-saving mode? Seems the local utility co told my wife that a
> > potential
> > cause of our larger electric bill is 'increased computer use' and now she
> > insists that all machines be shut down every night. Including my server. I
> > really need some comparison to a normal household item, e.g. 'in
> > power save
> > mode, a computer uses the same electricity as a 40 watt light
> > bulb' would be
> > nice.

the men will like this, the women will hate it...

Say "Ok Honey, I'll turn off my server every night.  But you can't use the hair dryer and curling
iron anymore".

I'd be willing to bet that 10 minutes of hairdryer on high heat is more than your server running
overnight.

And that's coming from a women that has left her 3 computers, 2 monitors, 1 hub, 1 router, 1 cable
modem, 1 keyboard/mouse switch, 2 printers, 1 scanner, 2 sets of speaker..... on for 2 years straight.