[thelist] MySQL vs PostgreSQL - Opinions Please

Patrick Berry pberry at piratehaven.org
Tue Dec 11 09:39:50 CST 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 19:23, Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com wrote:
> +| OMG! The follow up doesn't point out a single area where mysql is
> +| stronger. Postgresql completely canes mysql on every heavy
> +| load test!
> +| Can I revise the statement above to read 'MySQL is designed to be
> +| faster by sacrificing features; Postgresql has more
> +| features, crashes
> +| less, and runs under a heavier load far faster.'
>
> Andrew,
>
> You're right, it's pretty much an eye-opener and blew the doors off of many
> people's assumptions. I had always wondered why people would opt for such a
> lightweight DB over PostgreSQL...
>
> However, PGSQL still has some, let's say, cumbersomeness (less every
> release), tends to muck up data (caution to those who disdain backups... you
> will be burned!) and stall for no apparent reason.
>
> Also MySQL is catching up on features, though, imho, it is not as
> enterprise-class as PGSQL, and will remain so for the conceivable future,
> barring a stoppage of development for PGSQL. The best for MySQL is yet to
> come... namely Stored Procs, real FK relationships, and better locking
> (anything would be better).
>
> All in all, next year will be a Good Year for those who do it on the cheap!
>
> <rory disposition="appreciatively" alt="8)"/>

While I have no doubt that PostgreSQL has the feature and performance
high ground now, where I feel it still lacks is simply getting it up and
running (and then connecting to it).

This is most likely because the developers feel that you should know
*exactly* what you are doing when using a "real" database.  Now, while I
have no problem with this, I don't think they should be shocked that
fewer people are using it.  I have a few cases where I have used mysql
simply because I knew it was easy and that I didn't need the features of
postgresql:

	http://football.patandkat.com
	http://disco.patandkat.com

I also think this is why they are behind in market share.  Most of the
people out there don't need all that.  They need something a little more
beefy than a spreadsheet with the ability to use php with (yes, I know
you can use almost and db out there with php) to create little webapps.
Again, it's just my opinion.

Pat