[Javascript] Remote windows in NN

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 16 11:36:05 CST 2002

>I'm still having problems with opening popup windows in netscape. Can
>someone help me here.
>
>1) Firstly I downloaded my NN from the web. When I bring up the about
>dialog I get the following text :
>"                                                        Netscape 7.0
>Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823
>Netscape/7.0"
>
>I'm running on Windows 2000 and parseInt(navigator.appVersion) returns 5.
>
>Does this mean its netscape version 5 or 7 ?

Officially Netscape 7. See my article at
http://www.evolt.org/article/One_browser_many_names/21/29442/index.html for
a partial explanation of the extremely complicated naming systems of
Netscape and Mozilla.

>2) Using this version of netscape I'm having problems accessing the
>properties of a window opened using window.open(). The follwing code :
>
>var wi = window.open("../rhythmOrderForm.htm", "RhythmOrders",
>"HEIGHT=700,WIDTH=840,left=0,top=0,scrollbars=1");
>   document.write("wi.location = " + wi.location + "<br>");
>
>produces the following output :
>wi.location = about:blank

That's because you ask for the location immediately after opening the
window. The browser hasn't yet had a chance to evaluate your statement, open
the window, assign the URL to location.href and download the page. It needs
some more time.

If you execute this function onLoad in the popup you'll get more satisfying
results.

>and any attempts to access the properties of the document result in an
>error message of thew form :
>Error: wi.document.forms.RhythmOrderForm has no properties.

Same problem.

ppk