[Javascript] Thanks & follow-up, was: Handling child windowvisibility...

Matt Barton javascript at mattbarton.org
Thu Aug 12 10:33:17 CDT 2004

Since you're creating the window with form submission, I don't think there's
anyway you can reference the resultant window in javascript in the original
page.  I'd love to be corrected, but to the best of my understanding it
won't be possible.

Your second suggestion might be feasible though: you could have an onClick
event on the submit button which ran a routine which deactivated the button:

<!-- start -->
<input type="submit" name="mySubmitButton" value="Clicky"
onClick="fDisableButton(this)">
<script language="javascript">
    function fDisableButton (oButton) {
        // disable the button however you want here ... I'll hide it for
now.
        oButton.style.display = 'none';
    }
</script>

However, you'd then be left with the question of how to make the button
active again...

I'm not sure I'd approach the whole thing with a page submission in the
first place: it'd be easier to handle if the window was opened via
javascript - you then have a scripting relationship between parent and child
windows and can manipulate one from the other as you see fit...

Not much help I'm afraid ...

Matt