[Javascript] JS Marquee Scroller Question

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 08:55:43 CDT 2006

> It works on my Mac in Safari and FireFox. IE get's it wrong, but > what's new there?
The news is:I just got back from IE preview and I didn't see any of the quirks you've mentioned.> Any comments will be appreciated.
> Quirk 1: At the end of a nine image sequence, the sequence goes blank > for three frames.

I would say: The sequence goes blank for exactly 336 px.
(but since this length matches the width of 3 images of their actual size,
we might accept this as an alternative definition of it's width)

>Why?
That's because you are using "marquee"!
So what's the deal?
The scrolling is linear and the sequence is linear.
So what?
You will not be able to see the locomotive again until the last wagon
has completely left the view. For the last wagon to exit the view, the locomotive has to drag
it far to the left before turning somewhere else outside of your view to be able to enter the site once
again from the right. Until then your view will be empty.
What does it mean?
The width of the empty view is determined inevitably by its own physical width.
This means that its not a roller, its a strip acting exactly as it should.
> Quirk 2: Occasionally, the scroll will freeze. Again, why?
This might be caused by some background process and it depends on system stability mainly.
Rarely a coding issue, but at the edge of thoughts,
-you've broken your round corner box so the browser display stability might get compromised.
Correct that and see if it freezes again.