[thechat] Mandrake Linux

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 29 16:07:00 CST 2002

Kevin Stevens writes:

> > What's the grep command look like that you are using?  The form is:
> >
> >    grep pattern [files]
>
> Thanks for the replies, could you define what you mean by pattern?

Usually a regular expression but you can do literal searches in a
file.  What are you trying to do?

> Yeah, but it seems to have taken 1 Gig as swap space, I was under
> the impression that swap space is supposed to be about twice the
> size of your RAM, of which I have 128 meg. And I am confused as to
> why it is labeling it HDA6 instead of HDA1.

Yeah, 1GB of swap seems a little excessive.  That doesn't sound right.
I don't think that you can assign the device where your swap goes.  I
don't know the details of the device driver but my swap space is
usually put on that device as well.

> > To re-install, try booting from CD again.  It should prompt you to
> > redo the install.  At least, it used to in Red Hat distributions.
>
> Yes, you're correct, I can do this. The reason I wanted to re-format
> was to set the partition sizes myself and to see if some of the
> problems I am having re-appear. The grep thing mentioned above is
> one of them, also I wrote some code to the bashrc file that should
> give me a prompt if I try to overwrite something (I believe I got
> this from linux.org), but that isn't working either. I am at that
> horrible newbie stage where I am unsure if it is me being stupid or
> the machine :)

It doesn't sound like grep would be affected by your partitioning.

What did you write to your .bashrc?  Something like:

   alias cp='cp -i'
   alias mv='mv -i'

You'll likely have to start up another window or type '. ~/.bashrc'
before these changes take effect.  Also, make sure that you are
writing to .bashrc and not just bashrc.

Dean