[thechat] News Update

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Fri Feb 8 13:17:01 CST 2002

Hi Erika,

> http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia_china/story.jsp?story=110213

US forces killed 280 enemy fighters by bombing the airport.  Any killing done
anywhere is bad, but it's an unfortunate reality in war.  If they had the
opportunity to do it to our soldiers (or citizens even), they would do it with
great pride.

> George W. Bush is going to bankrupt us with his wars.

It sucks for the national government to have to spend so much money defending
YOUR right to not live in fear.  Thanks for chipping in your tax dollars anyway,
though.  Most of the rest of the country appreciates it. ;)

> He is a man who loves death, who loves wielding the sword, and feels
> as long as he's got that "Gott mit uns" engraving in his brain, all
> will be right.

I don't think any sane person enjoys death; I also don't think it would have
mattered who sat in the Big chair - I think that from the moment that first
plane hit the WTC, war was inevitable.  The people demanded that the reponsible
parties be held accountable at whatever cost, and I think that is still the
general consensus.

> I feel like an exile in my own country.

I know, it kinda sucks, but it's one of those "majority rules" things..  Like in
elementary school, when 30 kids in PE wanted to play kickball and 2 wanted to
play wiffle ball, the minority kinda gets hosed.  Maybe that's a bad example.

> How can I be living in a place where George Bush is looked up to as a
> leader, and where Britney Spears is looked up to as a singer?

Yeah. See above.  The good news is that you are free to shape public opinion in
order to help foster your beliefs by public demonstration, publicising your
views through the media, or even holding public office.

As for Brittney..  I'm sure many people said the same thing about the Beatles..
Ok, another bad example, but..  When the public is tired of her bad singing and
kick-ass bod, she'll be another pet rock on the mantle of American culture.

Of course, if it's so sickening to be a part of such a society, there are dozens
of others out there to choose from...

Take Care,

Seth