[thesite] bad spam

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue May 7 16:58:00 CDT 2002

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>
>
> aardvark -
>
> this is obviously an issue for you, and i can appreciate that.

and others...

> i know you think that you've got the best solution, and it does work
> well on theforum list for a number of reasons(two being its relative
> newness and not being plastered on 100 sites across the web), so its
> not really fair to say 'solution X works on this list' when the lists
> are very different.

no, it's not fair, but i've still heard no reasonable argument against
it... how many people who my suggested change impact?

> i'm working on fixing the problem, more along the lines of what josh
> has suggested, by holding zero length emails.

zero+length of footer, i hope...

> this, in addition to the other measures in place, should help the
> prob.

help...

> and i'm not saying its going to ever get fixed either. spam will
> always be flying at thelist, and we can't completly stop it. i think
> if you or the people that sent you messages offlist knew how many spam
> emails didn't get through because of the work thats been done by a
> number of people, you wouldn't be quite as critical.

well, i know that you stopped a 35-post mailbomb...

but i still maintain that the work done by a number of people is nice
and all, it's, IMO, unnecessary...  i don't feel compelled to back off
just because someone has put time into something if i think it's not
working...

but, if the list were closed to non-subscribers, other than those who
sub (which you  manually approve anyway, right?), how much
spam would make it through?

and if you blocked all HTML and attachment posts, instead of
stripping and sending, how much spam would make it through?

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself