[Fwd: [thelist] ftp and vss]

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Thu Oct 19 16:58:55 CDT 2000

We ran into a similar problem with VSS at McDonnell Douglas. Unfortunately,
the best solution we could come up with was to make every developer
*completely aware* that they *had* to follow the procedures for publishing
to the production site.

Depending on how far you are willing to go with this, however, there are a
couple of things you could try. First, you could implement a policy of
completely uploading the site to the production server periodically
(weekly? daily?). The first time that this wipes out some "bright spark"'s
work, they will become painfully aware of their failure to follow
publishing procedure. However, this may end up ruining some needed
work/correction and possibly savagely irritating your clients. :( Second,
if you have a staging and a production server, you could end up doing what
we eventually did. Everyone has rights to muck, with the staging server all
they want. But only "you" would have the ability to take code to the
production server. However, you're gonna need a beeper for those weekend
emergencies when someone needs code put out fast. Of course, this helps you
test your code first. Third, lock down your FTP site so noone but you has
the password and don't publish through VSS.

HTH

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"