[thelist] How to Fade the Edges of an Image

Matthew Fischer mfischer at e-fishsolutions.com
Fri Nov 3 08:07:32 CST 2000

In photoshop 5.5 or 6.0 (and I think 5.0 also), try the Vignette Action under the frames group in your Actions. This will kind of do what you're looking for, although the image has to go on a white background. If you look at the steps in the action you can see what it does and change it to work with other colors.

On 11/3/00 at 8:50 AM, Gregory.John.Toland at census.gov wrote:

> Gina,
> Thanks for your response!  I actually have both, Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro.  I
> am a newbie to graphics so I am having trouble following your directions for
> Image Composer.  Is there an easier way to do this in the other two software
> applications?  As to Image Composer here is what I did and where I got lost.
> 1. Extended image using the crop utility by 20px on each side of the square
> image. Background color is going to be white.
> 2. Drew a square 10px inside the extended image (what color was I to fill the
> square with?)
> 3. Was not sure how to invert.
> 4.  I know how to blur an image
> I guess I was not sure what color to fill the selection box with?  If there is
> another way to do this in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro I would greatly appreciate
> any help you can give me.  We are going to be doing this to several images so I
> wanted to take the time to get this right.
> Gregory
> >How does one take an image and fade out the edges?
> >I have tried everything in Microsoft Image
> >Composer, but to no avail.
> Microsoft Image Composer is pretty limited from what I remember, but if it has a
> "blur" tool, you can maybe do something that would satisfy you.
> Take the image that you want to fade the edges out of, and make the area around
> the image 20 to 40 pixels wider. Meaning, add 20 pixels to each side of the
> image that has the same color background as the page you are putting it on.
> Then, use the square selection tool and draw about 10 pixels *inside* the image
> itself. So when you are done, the selection lines will be 10 pixels or so from
> the edges of the photo. Now invert the selection, and do the blur, pushing up
> the value until it looks good to you. If you do too much, it won't look very
> good because you will be able to see where the blur starts.
> That's a quick and dirty way to get a slight blur with something like Image
> Composer--if it has blur, I can't remember. If not, you will have to get
> something else to accomplish it. You'll have better luck with something like
> Photoshop, but if you have a tight budget there is a great program called Paint
> Shop Pro. You can download a 30 day trial version at:
> http://www.jasc.com/download_4.asp
> ---------------------------------------
> For unsubscribe and other options, including
> the Tip Harvester and archive of TheList go to:
> http://lists.evolt.org Workers of the Web, evolt ! 

Matt Fischer || e-fish solutions, inc      (e)   \\\\\__   o  
   <mfischer at e-fishsolutions.com>           (e) /    o  \ o
  <http://www.e-fishsolutions.com>           (e)    ((  <
    877.WEB.FISH || 203.272.2987            (e) \+_+_+_/
           Fax 800.203.5816                (e)     \|/

More information about the thelist mailing list