[thelist] From PHP to...?

Philippe J philippejadin2 at swing.be
Wed Feb 21 16:59:27 CST 2001

> Strange thing. I am currently about to start serious Servlet
> programming. And my background _is_ PHP.
> Just to say : "I am concerned by your question" !

So am I. I'm using php for several websites, and I began to use oo features
of php a month ago or so. (I already used some oo in delphi, but that's
really another story;-)

So, I have checked differents tools too, and I didn't choose java servlets.
I'm sure it's a great tool, but I don't see what more or better it can do in
webprogramming. Let's face it : we can build ultra complex apps on the
backend, using thousands of code lines, the final result will allways looks
to be a simple script having some input from html forms, and some html
output.
While web programming may be a very complex task (and it is sometimes), it
is only the beginning. Imho, for now it is useless to learn something
complex if you are not obliged to (and if something simplier exists). This
will be totally different when there will be better interfaces for the
enduser, but for now, I keep the "low-profile" way of learning. Translated :
keep it simple.

In my case, I found that the key point in web programing was object oriented
data storage. And the only solution I found that does this is zope. So I
started to learn it, and believe me, it's wonderfull.

The conclusion : never learn something because it looks cool, or because
everyone is using it. It could pay more to choose the solution based on it's
features you really need. In my case, if I discovered zope earlier...

But again, maybe the right solution for you is jsp. Who knows?

Philippe