[thelist] Finished, at last !

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Mon Sep 10 09:36:36 CDT 2001

> In other words, wow them.

in the work I've done for bands in the past, they are the most
wow-centric clients I've come across. They'll want flash and fancy
graphic work and all the wizbang you can throw at them... just take a
look at album covers - the music industry is very visual and all about
the cool factor.
I'd hook up with some other designers so you can provide a range of
styles.. grunge through minimal, etc. __And do a showcase site__.
In truth what most bands *need* is the same as anyone else .. they need
to connect with their customers, offer news, tour dates, releases, the
mp3 samples, merchandise -- (hook up your sample site with cafepress or
similar). But the website is really an emotional property that you need
to work to win them over. Its an extension of their brand, and of
premium value.
Once you get your foot in the door word of mouth should take over. But
be aware that these are customers who spend their professional lives
getting screwed over by the Man, and they are sharp, and won't hesitate
to turn the tables. Win trust and get money up front. Also be aware that
music is a labour of love for most bands, and they may not understand
why they have to pay for your creativity when they get paid peanuts.

Hope i've not tarred everyone with the same brush.. (some of my best
friends are band members :)
Actually this was some of the most exciting and rewarding work I ever
did (though its years past now and I think since replaced or offline).

Other thoughts - make contacts, show your showcase site to producers and
managers - these are the guys who are really making money decisions, and
you'll be running uphill until you get full enthusiastic approval from
them.

Sam