[thelist] The use of color (was site header and logo)

Don Makoviney donm at allensysgroup.com
Mon Dec 31 07:26:16 CST 2001

Some good articles I have archived on my site regarding this topic:

Web-Graphics: A Review of Web Based Color Pickers
Author: Nathan Steiner - This review includes some core details about many
of the currently available and popular online color picking tools, so that
you can choose which tool has the right combination of features for the
way you work.
FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.makovision.com/m/tr.asp?l=1724

Colorcom: Color and Usability
Author: J.L. Morton - This points to another usability issue. In the world
of computers, it's known as user-interface design. From the visual
interface of the operating system to the software components and
peripherals, colors and symbols help you find your way and get the job
done. In the same way that color works in an international airport, color
combined with shapes and symbols will mean the difference between
successful computer-human interaction or confusion.
FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.makovision.com/m/tr.asp?l=1457

Creative Pro: Learning to Use Color
Author: Ron Wilder - While the choice of color is one of the most
subjective decisions in the world of design, it's still important to
understand the theory behind why you should choose one set of colors over
another. The theory may not let you instantly select a color scheme, but
it will certainly lead you along the right path.
FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.makovision.com/m/tr.asp?l=572

HitBox: Add Color with Flare and Care
Author: Staff Writer - There are different emotions we want to play out to
the fullest depending on our Web site's motivation. Working with the
colors and tone of our design will help us create the emotion we desire
and if we don't take effort to work with it, we'll create the wrong
impression, possibly alienating the very readers we wish to attract. We
should take into consideration the different emotional, symbolic, and
cultural meanings of colors when designing a Web site theme.
FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.makovision.com/m/tr.asp?l=250

Hope that helps.

Don Makoviney

MAKOVISION.COM - Handpicked News For Internet Developers
http://www.makovision.com/
FREE WebDev/Usability Newsletter - "Cutting Thru The Crap"
http://www.makovision.com/subs/