[thelist] Flash and a database

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Apr 30 16:47:13 CDT 2002

>Databases I *do* know and use, but I don't have any clue where to start
>looking for the *how* with Flash.

Try this first:
http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/articles/flash_databases.html

Just as you have to know HTML to do HTML with a database, you have to
know Flash to do Flash with a database. The ActionScript stuff you'll
be particularly interested in to connect Flash to the backend are
loadVariables() and the XML object and it's methods. Flash doesn't
care what's on the backend, it's just text files.

There's also a gluttony of server tools that generate swfs on the fly
... to get you started:

Generator (info at the MM site)
http://www.blue-pac.com/products/
http://www.livetronix.com/