[thelist] Receiving mail to one address but sending from another

Ross DeMeyere ross at demeyere.com
Fri Jan 13 21:56:14 CST 2006

On 1/11/06, Kevin Sedgley <kevin at topophilia.co.uk> wrote:

> Also, when sending from gmail (or any server that's not your server) it's
> good idea to update your server's SPF records to include those domains so
> your emails don't get marked as SPAM.

You don't really need the SPF record on your own MX when using a custom from
in Google mail because Google mail adds all sorts of stuff into the header
to make it obvious that it came from Google, so any check would look for the
SPF record on Google, which is out of our control.

From: Ross DeMeyere <ross at demeyere.com>
Sender: ross.demeyere at gmail.com

 ... even though I set Google to send from ross at demeyere.com, it is very
obvious from the headers where it actually came from.

Just my 2 cents.

Ross DeMeyere
DeMeyere Design Incorporated
http://demeyere.com/