[thelist] Receiving mail to one address but sending from another

Kevin Sedgley kevin at topophilia.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 10:10:41 CST 2006

On 1/14/06, Ross DeMeyere <ross at demeyere.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/06, Kevin Sedgley <kevin at topophilia.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Also, when sending from gmail (or any server that's not your server)
> > it's a
> > good idea to update your server's SPF records to include those domains
> > so
> > your emails don't get marked as SPAM.
>

> You don't really need the SPF record on your own MX when using a custom
> from in Google mail because Google mail adds all sorts of stuff into the
> header to make it obvious that it came from Google, so any check would look
> for the SPF record on Google, which is out of our control.

> From: Ross DeMeyere <ross at demeyere.com>
> Sender: ross.demeyere at gmail.com
>
>  ... even though I set Google to send from ross at demeyere.com, it is very
> obvious from the headers where it actually came from.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Ah, I never realised. I thought SPF was a mechanism to let recieving mail
servers know that you give permission for mail "from" you domain to be sent
from other specified domains.

Email I was sending from gmail was being marked as "Fradualent?" in some of
my clients email systems, but doesn't since I changed the SPF thingy's.

I think I have some reading to do!

> Ross DeMeyere
> DeMeyere Design Incorporated
> http://demeyere.com/
> rossMania
> a photo journal -- the other side of DeMeyere Design
> http://rossMania.com/

NEW PHONE NUMBER - 02476 100011

Topophilia Web Services
The TechnoCentre