[thelist] Drupal hosting: These hosts any good? Suggestions? Need pro advice. :)

patrick pms at stoutstreet.com
Tue Mar 20 09:36:09 CDT 2007

Hershel Robinson wrote:
>> Also, I have heard good/bad things about Drupal and GoDaddy Linux hosting...
>
> One of my clients has a GoDaddy shared Linux hosting account. I called
> technical support on the phone yesterday to ask a simple question:
>
>  > Does this shared linux hosting account support Perl and cron?
>
> His answer was:
>
>  > I know what Perl is--that's a scripting language. But what's cron?
>
> I explained to him that cron is a standard Linux system service. He said
> he had to go ask someone. He came back and said that it is not
> available, but for $29 a month, he could give me a virtual dedicated
> server. "That comes to $350 a year, sir."
>
> Cute. "What's cron?" Cute.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Hershel

That would be the negative with large hosts: the frontline is generally
farthest remove from anyone who knows anything beyond the very basics.

I think we're hijacking the thread, however: it seems the OP was looking
for hosts with Drupal-specific experience and support. I don't have any
recommendations on that, beyond the suggestion that you avoid the larger
hosts, especially with the above anecdote in mind. It may take you quite
a bit of work to get someone to help you who knows that application.

--

patrick sanders
http://www.stoutstreet.com