[thelist] Why do we say what we say?

Jon Hughes jon at phazm.net
Thu Oct 25 08:35:28 CDT 2007

> By including CSS instead of using inline stylesheets, you are
>  - making your HTML documents lighter,
>  - separating content from presentation and thus
>  - making your website much, much easier to maintain.

I am well aware of this :)  The question was referring to having it above
<script> tags.

The reason for this is actually speed. Reason being, browsers load in a
top-down order, so if they get to a script first, they will load it, even
before the CSS. This results in slower rendering speeds.

HOWEVER: This is just what I have been told, and what I tell people... does
it actually make a difference? I have no idea... I actually can't imagine it
making a difference simply because it still needs to load the content, which
is below the <script> as well... and what good is CSS without content? :)

 - Jon