[thelist] PHP, ASP.net, AJAX

Edward McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Tue Aug 19 09:20:49 CDT 2008

> It sounds like it would make the most sense to do the AJAX backend in
> whichever language you code your CMS in.

I agree.  OTOH, I just added AJAX to an existing .Net page, and it was
an almost trivial process to get it up and working.  They've encapsulated
the AJAX functionality into a pair of controls, and all you have to do is:

- Add a ScriptManager control to your page (no options need be defined)
- Put all the controls you want AJAX to update in an UpdatePanel control
- Optionally, add an UpdateProgress control to request users wait while
  you are "AJAXing" behind the scenes.

(McCarroll's corollary to Murphy's Law:  Any statement that begins with
"All you have to do is ..." is a lie.  ;-)

Regards,

  Ed

"I would rather be inconsistent than wrong."  (Mohandas Ghandi)
Ed McCarroll                                     Ed at ComSimplicity.com
PO Box 654                                             (310) 904-3651
Culver City, CA 90232                           www.ComSimplicity.com