[thelist] Frames, Javascript and IE 5.5 SOLUTION!

Katherine Spice k.spice at acu.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 11:59:22 CDT 2001

Finally, after a very, very long day, it works.  FWIW, I'll explain what
I found, but I've not bothered "tipping" it, 'cause it's not very
coherent.

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> 1) IE 5.5 supports parent.framename.location fine

Yep, absolutely true, for one level of framing - however, I was trying
to change the location of a one frame from it's "sibling" frame, but
these were nested 2 frames deep (I told you this was nasty :-). It seems
that in this situation parent.framename won't work with IE 5.5, but
parent.frames[1] will - (relative identity?). Happily this method of
identifying frames is Javascript 1.0 so it should still work with
everything else.

Thank you to everybody who provided advice (and moral support!) -
sometimes it's just nice to know that you're not alone :-)

Katherine