[thelist] Can't get MySQL to run on Boot (was: Single install of PHP4, MySQL, Apache for Linux?)

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 18:01:48 CST 2001

>what did you do that didn't work? I think what andrew meant to say
>was look in the 'support-files' directory for the startup script
>mysql.server .(unless we're running two different versions, or
>binaries are packaged different than source)

ohh yea. doh! :) i did say i was going from memory. there weren't any
replies for about 10 mins so i thought i'd pipe up. sorry for
misleading.

>Take the mysql.server file and add it to /etc/rc.d/init.d/ with 'cp
>mysql.server /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld'
>
>Then run 'chkconfig --add mysqld'

now that *is* neat. wow! the things you learn each and every day.

>>The question comes to mind: Is Linux really worth the trouble?
>
>Well you only poked around with it for an hour... Linux is only as
>worth as much as you're willing to put into it

$dan_comment_vote++;

FWIW: expect to set aside a good few hours when installing a major
package for the first time. linux admin has a learning curve just
like everything else, it can just appear very long and steep. the
good news is that for all the frustrating flexibility you get
frustrating flexibility and then some.

--
Andrew Forsberg
---