[thelist] whaddya call the thing with two multi-selects...

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 09:49:26 CDT 2006

On 9/14/06, Sam Beam <sbeam at onsetcorps.net> wrote:
> where you pick items from one <select> element and can place in the
> other one using arrowed buttons in between? Usually involving JS on the
> web but sometimes seen in non-web apps as well.
> similar to:
> http://www.laurent-laville.org/img/qfams/screenshot/basic1.png
> Is there a standard name for this little UI gem? If not can I
> propose "Bicameral selector"?

Horde framework calls this simply "assign" or "assignment selector",
as typically you have a domain from which you are assigning a subset a
particular tag/category/whatever. In MSN's options, I believe you have
something similar with "people who can see me" and "people who can't
see me", where initially all people are in the former category, and
you can move people from this domain and assign them to the hidden

There is also another related UI element called "sorter", where you
have a list in a multi select and you have up and down arrows to move
elements in the list up (shifting others down) or down (shifting
others up).

Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA

This email proudly and graciously contributes to entropy.

More information about the thelist mailing list