[thelist] UI libraries

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Apr 27 17:53:33 CDT 2009

I think it depends on what type of development you are looking to do.
YUI has a nice pedigree to it but I find it a bit clunky. It is a well
put together project though and an Evolter (Christian Heilmann) works
on it last I heard.

JQuery really rocks the house for pure utility. It is light weight and
great for programmable front end work. If you are looking at eye candy
interface stuff, JQuery UI is pretty decent and coming along nicely.
It doesn't have all the controls that some other frameworks do but the
theme roller is great, so if you are looking at a multi-design site,
JQuery UI is the way to go IMHO.

Ext is a great framework for more desktop look and feel apps. More
limited design options but a very solid OO approach to JS and well
programmed. A dual license model, however, that would require a
relatively inexpensive license for some commercial projects.

Judah