[thechat] Geocaching...

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Mon Jan 14 08:10:27 CST 2002

Hi Dave,

I've heard about it ... and even though it sounds like great fun to me
... I haven't tried it.

Similar (kinda) activities are things like some [excuse me] oddball UK
activity where you need to track down rubber stamps or something hidden
in out of the way places and stamp your 'book' with them.  {I think
there was an article about it in Smithsonian some months back - [maybe
this was a precursor to geocaching?] ... so a search there might turn up
something more coherent than this rambling.}  It sounded like fun to me
too!

Aha! It's called "Letterboxing!"  [... and it *Does* seem to be a
precursor to geocaching!]

"Geocaching was enabled by GPS, but the concept stretches back to the
19th century and a British orienteering sport called letterboxing.
Letterboxers hide a container with a unique rubber stamp inside and then
offer up clues to its location -- coordinates, or perhaps a cryptic,
coded message. Treasure seekers navigate only with a compass, and
instead of finding CDs, bouncy balls, books or Funyuns, they carry a
passbook in which they collect stamps. Geocaching is really the brashly
technological American cousin of a decorous and refined European
invention."

from http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/12/11/geocaching/index1.html

Also ... although it comes in many different flavors ... orienteering is
a similar  kind of thing.  [Always struck me as kind of a
'walking/hiking' version of a road rallye! ... which, although sounding
like great fun - isn't something I've managed to find time to check into
yet.]  I understand some can be pretty physically challenging ...
although others can be held inside a covered shopping mall.  Quite a
gamut there.

I had some friends talk about organizing a 'road rallye' ... on
horseback .... once - but I never heard how that turned out.

RonL.
(I used to 'road rallye' ... does that count?  Hmmm ... I also organized
a 'photo rallye' or two that were pretty fun.  I'll have to talk to my
fiancee and see if she'd like to give this a whirl.)