[thechat] playing games

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Thu Jan 8 20:19:35 CST 2009

I feel the need to confess that I might possibly believe at this point that
Rock Band has the potential to develop some level of musicianship in
children. Santa brought it to my house (because I found rock band 1 was only
$100). Wifey wanted to get Rock Band 2 for $200. Then I started shopping for
drum kits on Craigs list and discovered for $200 we could get a REAL DRUM
SET.

Wouldn't ya know it, rock band 1 arrived the very next day (if I didn't have
a job to go to....I would soooo have a drum kit right now)

But anyway, the thing Rock Band makes the little buggers do is LISTEN. When
they start getting screwed up I say, "hey you, yeah you! no Sun Ra solos til
you can get through Mississippi Queen! LISTEN!"
And they lock right back in. (though I think a Sun Ra edition of rock band
would be killer)

I have no interest in the guitar thing, but the drum kit is really a lot of
fun.

Daddy got a theramin for xmas. I am determined to do the vocal tracks on
theramin. So far it has a proved to be the most effective method for getting
the kids to *stop* playing rock band :-(

nagrom