[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 27 23:17:42 CDT 2001

djc,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Daniel J. Cody
:
: > oh really?
:
: then what, jeff, is your opinion on how
: we should be addressing things?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sort of taken out of context so lemme quote my comments in my original
response to put it in perspective.

  "[...] well, it's standards compliant code.
   it's not rendered correctly by a particular
   browser.  whose fault is that?  should we
   conditionalize our code (probably causing
   it to not be standards compliant) for a browser
   that hasn't even reached a public release yet?"

to which elfur responded:

  "that's not how we're supposed to be addressing
   things"

to which i ask -- why not?  isn't part of the goal of our site to be
producing code that validates and is standards compliant?  if it's not, then
let's hack away.  however, if that *is* one of our goals, then i ask once
again -- who's fault is it that it doesn't work properly?  i say it's the
fault of the beta browser.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > provided it's a critical element in our foundational
: > accessibility/usability.  however, if it's not a
: > mission critical, then no, it should not be hacked.
:
: so by that reasoning, this newest feature is a 'critcal
: element' of our foundation?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

no, it's a tertiary feature that, when implemented, does not hinder our
basic goal -- people can get to the content to read it.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > when you use a beta you use it knowing that it
: > probably has problems.
:
: just curious, but what *exactly* is wrong with mozilla
: 0.9.1 ?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it should be reflowing the document to accommodate the comments when their
display property is set from "none" (takes no space within the document
flow) to "block" (occupies the full space necessary for the dimensions of
the object including borders, padding, and margins.

: is this is something to worry about or to forget. i'm
: interested

it's certainly something to worry about.  altering an object's display is
one of the fundamentals of dhtml.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org